The Church on Facebook

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Focus 40: Day 7


Prayer Makes a Difference 


“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand…And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. —Ephesians 6:12–13, 18


Years ago before the formal focus on the 360 Revolution concept, I used to pray for those around me who didn’t know Jesus. The 360 Revolution focuses on looking 360 degrees around you to see where God is at work and to get involved, praying for at least three persons six times a week who don’t know Jesus and missing zero opportunities to share God’s love.  


One of my ministry fields was the gym. I used to compete as a power lifter and was in the weight room most days of the week. I would write down on my prayer list some of the guys I saw regularly and had interaction with and would pray for them regularly. What I found is that when I prayed for them to find Jesus and for the opportunity to share Jesus’ love with them, some incredible things happened. I remember I had been praying, and there was a guy over at the dumbbells working out. He said something to me that gave this huge opening to talk about spiritual things. It was just crazy how it happened, and I believe without regular prayer on my part, it would have never happened. God did some incredible things in that place. People came to find Jesus; others who had been walking away from him came back and God did an incredible work. A men’s accountability/Bible study group started at Cracker Barrel, and before you know it, we had to go to more groups because it got too large. I believe without a doubt, if there hadn’t been consistent prayer, it would have never happened.  


The Bible says that we are in a spiritual battle. Paul said, “Put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand…And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints” (Eph 6:12–13, 18). We need the weapon of prayer. 


For us to see lives changed, I challenge you, no, better yet, I dare you to try to pray six days a week for three people who don’t know Jesus. Pray that you would have a chance to share God’s love. You will be amazed at what God does. I double dare you!  


Don’t be discouraged if nothing happens immediately. Sometimes it is the faithful prayers over years that bring someone to Jesus. I prayed for over two years for a guy who was against any spiritual conversations. Finally, God opened up a window and, well that’s another story for another day.


Lord, I want to be part of the 360 Revolution, looking 360 degrees around me for the three people who don’t know you, those you want me to pray for 6 times a week, missing 0 opportunities to share your love with them. As I stand in the gap in prayer for them, Lord, please go before me to prepare their hearts to receive your awesome love and life-transforming power. May they never be the same because they have met you in all of your healing love and grace. Thanks, Lord, for letting me be involved in your plan of transforming hearts…transforming lives. Amen.


 Dr. Andy Stephenson, Leader of Youth and Family Ministries, Church of God Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment