The Church on Facebook

Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Path Week 2


The Path
November 11, 2012

The LORD is my shepherd; I have all that I need.  He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams.  He renews my strength.  He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.  Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.  You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies.  You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings.  Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the LORD forever.                                              Psalm 23

For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water.  And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.                                                                       Revelation 7:17

The Lord is our shepherd.  He gives us what is needed for us to live.  He will lead us through difficult places and into good places.  He is hope.  He is strength.  He blesses.  He provides a home.  Psalm 23 uses two images to help us understand the Lord’s guidance for our lives.  The first is the image of shepherd.  The shepherd cares for the sheep.  He leads them to places where they are safe and will thrive.  He protects them from danger.  Without the shepherd, the sheep become lost, vulnerable, and isolated.  The Lord is OUR shepherd and we are the sheep.  With him we have what we need.  Without him we are in danger.

The second image is that of a home.  The house of the Lord.  The guidance of God has a destination in mind.  It is not aimless wandering in the wilderness of life.  The guidance of the Lord is purposeful.  In the house of the Lord there is a throne.  On that throne sits the lamb that was slain (for us).  In that home, God wipes away every tear.  It is a good home.  It is the destiny that God has for us.  Will we follow the shepherd?  Will we allow ourselves to be led beside peaceful streams and through the dark valley of death?  Will we trust God to show us the way home?  Let’s follow him today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment