The Church on Facebook

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Foundations of Faith Devotional


Foundations of Faith
January 20, 2013

Psalm 62:5-8
Let all that I am wait quietly before God,
for my hope is in him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress where I will not be shaken.
My victory and honor come from God alone.
He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me.
O my people, trust in him at all times.
Pour out your heart to him,
for God is our refuge.
No matter what…I will wait on the Lord
No matter what…He will be my rock and my salvation
No matter what…God’s people must trust in Him

The times we live in are difficult.  The troubles we face cause us to have questions and doubts.  We desire to live right lives yet often feel unable to live up to that standard.  We want to make a difference in the world only to struggle with those who seem unwilling to listen or have their hearts set on doing wrong.  We are pressured to do things we do not like, accept things we do not agree with, and stay quiet when we need to speak out. 

This is not new.  The Psalmist knows a similar struggle.  He also knows the way to deal with that struggle.  Silence before God, Hope in the Lord, and Strength from the Rock, Fortress, and Salvation.  In a world filled with struggles, the Lord is a safe place.  In a world full of shifting, unacceptable, and often unrealistic expectations the Lord remains constant, solid, and firm.  Through Him comes victory and honor…no matter what. 

What does our faith rest on?  Is it tradition?  Is it other people?  Or is it truly the Lord?  Pour out your hearts to God.  Give to Him all that you are and you will discover the Rock of salvation and life.  What would it look like for you to take refuge in Him today?

No comments:

Post a Comment