The Church on Facebook

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Focus 40: Day 12 - March 22, 2011

Prayer for Joy in the Sighing Times

Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my sighing. Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation...Lead me, O LORD, in your righteousness because of my enemies-make straight your way before me...But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield (Psalm 5:1-3, 8, 11-12 NIV).

This psalm was written by David. Despite all the great things David accomplished, he was not immune from sorrow or trouble. In this psalm, David's heart cries out to God. David feels such distress that words are not enough; he asks God to consider his sighing. In the verses omitted, David explains that his enemies are spreading lies about him, slandering his name. David seeks justice and "wait[s] in expectation" for the deliverance of God and for God to bring justice. David has faith that God will come to his aid. In spite of his cries, this faith gives David joy. David rejoices in the fact that he can take refuge in God, that God will protect him, that God will surround him, and that God will bless him for serving Him.

David asks God to consider and listen to his heart. David is inviting God to listen. David is inviting God to show his love and protection. The Scriptures teach us that God knows our needs before we even express them. God understands the groans and sighs of our hearts. God wants us to allow Him to be our Shepherd, to be the one who will stand at the gate to the fold and watch over and protect us. But God needs for us to open ourselves to Him, to trust in Him, to take refuge in Him.

Life brings trouble – there is no escaping this truth. Sometimes people turn against us. Sometimes the world itself feels like it is against us. Sometimes we have a hard time even finding the words to express the distress we have. Sometimes we believe that God himself is against us. This psalm teaches us that when we open our hearts to God and seek Him out, that God will act on our behalf. God promises to be our refuge, to surround and fill us with His Spirit.

When trouble comes, don't turn from God, run to God, because he stands with open arms. Jesus declared "come unto me all ye that are burdened and heavy laden and I will give you rest." Give your cares over to God in prayer, even if all you can express is sighs, and allow God to fight for you.

Darren R. Covington, First Church of God, Greensburg, Indiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment