The Church on Facebook

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Focus 40 Day 7

Showing Love on the Way


How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray? And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray. Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish. —Matthew 18:12–14 kjv

One Saturday morning before attending a golf fundraiser, I had devotions and prayer. During my prayer time I had an overwhelming urge to seek God’s guidance for me that day so I could do his will. As I went to my car, I noticed one of my tires was a low. So I headed to the corner Speedway gas station, only to find I could barely get in the lot because a big tractor trailer was there to replenish pumps with gas.

My initial reaction was to go to another location for air or drive out to the course and put air in my tire after golf, but I waited to see how the situation would unfold. I waved to the truck driver and shouted over to ask if I could get closer to the air hose.

He shook his head no but then came over to say in a jovial way, “Sir, we have to be extremely cautious because the slightest spark can cause an explosion, and you might get into heaven, but because of the way I am, I might not make it in!” As he walked back over to the truck where he was working, I quickly called that we should take care of the situation right now. He welcomed a discussion with me!

I learned that not only had he contemplated giving his life to Christ, but his mother and other relatives had been praying for his salvation for years. We finally prayed together and celebrated his decision with a handshake and hug. This man was in his late fifties yet still had time to make a change of a lifetime.

I ended up being late to my outing yet still managed to get my full round in at the links, but all day long all I could think about was receiving and sharing God’s love so that the lost sheep could pray the prayer of salvation at Speedway.

O God, today allow me to be a vessel for you. During my travels in life, allow me to see through your eyes the opportunities to demonstrate your love by helping someone find their way. In Jesus’ name, amen

Dave Wess Sr., Director of Ministry Operations, Dayspring Church of God, Cincinnati, Ohio

No comments:

Post a Comment