The Church on Facebook

Monday, April 4, 2011

Focus 40: Day 23 - April 4, 2011

My Covenant Responsibility for You

"As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by failing to pray for you. And I will teach you the way that is good and right. But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you" -1 Samuel 12:23-24 NIV

In these verses, I see four responsibilities that we have to one another regarding intercessory prayer, and our ministry to one another which grows out of such prayer.

Pray for You

Samuel said, "As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by failing to pray for you" (1Samuel 12:23a). It is a privilege for me to go the throne of God in intercessory prayer on your behalf. I want God's best for you. Therefore, I must ask, in faith, believing that God wants to give you his best. God never fails; every time I go to him on your behalf, he always sends me away with some blessing for myself while meeting your needs as well.

Teach You

Samuel said, "And I will teach you the way that is good and right" (1 Samuel 12:23b). The Word is my source for teaching you God's truths. God has given us everything we need for living life the way he wants us to live, the way that is good and right. More than teaching you abstract ideas and vague concepts, the best way I can teach you is by the example of my life of faith and dependence on God. As I let him lead me, I become equipped to lead you.

Admonish You

As one who loves you, and who is interested in your growth and maturity in the Lord, I am called by God to challenge you to live a life of reverence and respect, an attitude of worship, glorifying God in all you do. Samuel said, "Be sure to fear the Lord and serve him faithfully" (1 Samuel 12:24a). I should encourage you to be faithful to him, for in your faithfulness lies God's opportunity to give you his greatest blessings. His promises to his chosen, faithful ones are unending.

Remind You

During those times when you feel discouraged or inadequate, I am called to remind you of how God has blessed you in the past. Samuel said, "Consider what great things he has done for you" (1 Samuel 12:24b). Such reminders will enable you to realize that, just as he has blessed you in the past, he has all the resources needed to bless you in the present and future.

These words of instruction and encouragement show how we can minister to one another through intercessory prayer. When you are in extended difficulties, I may need to fast and pray on your behalf.

Lord, thank you for the privilege of bringing other persons before your throne. Enable me to be an effective intercessory prayer warrior, placing before your throne of mercy the people you want to touch through me. Amen.

Dr. Sam Bruce, President, Sam & Sandie Bruce Ministries; Pastor, Hope Point Church, Pearl, Mississippi; Online Instructor, Mid-America Christian University, Member, Transformation Team Connect/Refresh

No comments:

Post a Comment