The Church on Facebook

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Focus 40 Day 26

Called Into Action


Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about him spread through the whole countryside. He taught in their synagogues, and everyone praised him. —Luke 4:14–15

She had no formal training, just a deep caring for people in her old neighborhood. She felt compelled to return there and find ways to minister to their physical, emotional, and spiritual needs.

Though she feared rejection from those who had known her while she was growing up, she boldly approached business and corporate leaders for assistance. She shared her vision. Out of a storefront with an attached apartment, she began the lifelong task of meeting the needs of people and pointing them toward God.

We often feel less capable among those we know best: family, friends, members of our home church. We may keenly feel that we are unqualified or untrained to do what God is calling us to do. Yet it’s important to remember that the Spirit of God can enable us in ways that formal training cannot.

Lord, I feel you calling me to serve others with the same extraordinary love that you extended to me through your Son, Jesus Christ. I feel so inadequate to the task, but I know that your Holy Spirit can fill me and lead me, just as he led Jesus. So I surrender myself to you. I ask that your Spirit will guide and energize me to reach others for your name’s sake.

Becky Dreger Fauntleroy lives in Anderson, Indiana, where she coordinates the work of volunteers at Church of God Ministries.

No comments:

Post a Comment