The Church on Facebook

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Focus 40 Day 40

I Love You More


I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call to the Lord, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies. The cords of death entangled me; the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me. The cords of the grave coiled around me; the snares of death confronted me. In my distress I called to the Lord; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice… He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support. —Psalm 18:1–6, 16–18

Prior to our son’s placement with us, we brought the house up to higher standards of safety. We installed cabinet latches, wall outlet covers, and other features for our boy’s protection. Because he wanted the security of a nightlight, we provided that for him as well. Our goal was to do whatever we could to make him feel secure and well-protected.

It must be working. At bedtime, we tell him, “We love you to infinity and beyond.” But then he smiles and says, “I love you twice more than infinity and beyond.”

The adoption of our son has parallels with our adoption into God’s family. God’s love is more concerned about our future than our past. It is focused on our long-term well-being and protection. 

The psalmist described God as an immovable rock, a shield, a fortress, a stronghold. As our place of safety and our source of light, God always has our best interests at heart.

Thank you, O God, for delivering us out of death itself. Thank you for showing such extreme love to all of your children.

Kevin A. Clouse is the senior pastor of First Church of God in Cushing, Oklahoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment